Sunday, September 30, 2012

Song of the Day: Dio - I Could Have Been a Dreamer

I remember quite clearly where I was, when I heard about Ronnie James Dio's death. I don't suppose many people do, but it was a strange night for me, that one night. You see, I was outside of Webster Hall with some friends, waiting to get into a show... in the basement, of course. Cool people go to the basement, don't you know? It's underground. (Yes, I made a hipster joke. Moving along, now.) Now, it was about 6:30pm, and the sun was setting, and it was a lovely May evening, and my friend was checking his facebook when he nearly shit himself and announced that RJD was dead.

Well, okay, that's a boring enough story, isn't it? We all have boring stories. However, in the hazy blur that is the majority of my memories before August 2010, this is one of the moments that stands out, and thus, I would have to guess it is significant. I'm still not sure why it was of much importance to me; perhaps, it's because the mosh pit that night was extra brutal. I still remember the lineup that night as well. I think, in a way, that was a way of marking the death, showing respect. People don't really understand moshing these days. I don't have much occasion to these days, and I miss it terribly.

So, now that I've had a chance to ramble a bit about Dio, let's have a listen to this song - I Could Have Been a Dreamer.


No comments:

Post a Comment